Monday, February 16, 2015

Fuzz Cast 25 - Recursion


  This episode is a major upgrade from previous shows in regards to it being recorded almost entirely live instead of requiring production after-the-fact. This is because I hooked up a mixer so I could play stuff off my laptop, play my guitar, bass, or drums, and of course, I've got my trusty blue snowball usb mic. So I'm really only recording 2 tracks, the voiceover in one, and the instruments/computer/sound effects in the other.
  I've been setting up a Squier Hello Kitty guitar. It sounds great and the setup is pretty slick but it goes
 out of tune easily and it has limited tone capabilities because it only has a volume knob and one pickup.  B
ut if you like the classic single humbucker sound you'll like this.
  I've also been introduced to the most amazing thing I've ever heard which is an amateur commercial turned i
nto a brilliant jazz guitar piece:
Jones Big Ass truck rentals & storage - Harmonizator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoLS9We9hl4
  This week's featured track is a jam session from this past Thursday called recursion. Normally I try to mix and post our recordings but this week Eric beat me to the post. For this jam we experimented with a new idea
. Due to a computer mixing glitch during our previous jam session we got a track that had me playing saxophon
e and drums simultaneously.  We thought it sounded amazing so Jamie had the idea of bringing his looper pedal
 and sampling my sax playing and then sprinkling it into the jam while I played the drums.
  So, the jam consists of me playing a saxophone solo where Jamie sampled a portion of it and then Jamie (bass) and Eric (guitar) come in and I start playing the drums. We definitely had a good time with it and it ende
d up being an 18 minute jam. It was more like 3 or 4 jams in one but with the saxophone loop being the thread
 that binds them all together.
  Here's the track on soundcloud:
Fuzz Bucket - recursion https://soundcloud.com/maumau13/fzzbkt21215recursion
  This was also the first jam session featuring my brand new Squire bass which was my brother's birthday pres
ent to me.
You can download Fuzz Cast on iTunes here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fuzz-cast/id897769608?mt=2&uo=4
or on my blog:
http://shimmymusic.blogspot.com/
or directly from libsyn:
http://fuzzcast.libsyn.com/

more links:
soundcloud.com/shimster
danshimmyo.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/danshimmyo
www.facebook.com/FuzzBucketNYC


Check out this episode!

No comments: